Sunday, August 30, 2009



Yesterday was the birthday of the late Michael Jackson, who would've turned 51. In honor of his legacy, Spike Lee (still awesome, btw: Do The Right Thing) disregarded all that is intelligent and civil when it comes to this sort of thing and threw a MJ Birthday Bash here in Brooklyn. (Why ye 'ole city 'o Breukelen? Maybe it's because the "Bad" video was shot here.) Originally planned for Fort Greene Park, the turnout was expected to be so big the city decided it would be in everyone's best interest to pack it all and move it to the much larger Prospect Park - where it seems to be okay (Parks Dept. - score!) to leave loads and loads of trash everywhere. I'm not directly across from the park or anything, but I can certainly see it out my window. The Post originally reported a turnout of at least 10,000. That number seems a little high to me, but wow - I could totally hear Billie Jean in the distance as I took my late morning shower.

In honor, I sketched what I'm calling my Billie Jean Bento.

With these as inspiration:


I made this:


background: rice dyed with black sesame seeds
shoes/pant legs: nori
fancy socks: white rice
lit square of concrete: any white cheese
road rolling off into the distance: fishcake + nori


1 comment:

Natalie said...

That's awesome!