Thursday, February 14, 2008

Waiter, There's a Hair in My Potter!

I'm pretty outspoken in my detest for the Harry Potter series (I just think there are loads and loads of better books out there (esp. for adults... yes, I said it...), all of which should garner just a spec of the sort of attention Potter commands, etc.), but I can't deny the numbers, and the world-wide fanaticism is simply impossible to ignore. Even in charaben, we have Potter. Face Food contributor KUBO sends me these from her vault:


This image © KUBO.


This image © KUBO.


This image © KUBO.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against immature prose, or even geekdome for that matter. I just have a hard time following the exploits of a little boy as he fights off magical owls instead of the pangs of his own sexual maturity. F*ck... read Huckleberry Finn for cripes sake... or, ok, this is the fantasy genre we're talking about... and for an audience of "young adults." So how's about R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms series involving Drizzt Do'Urden? Those are loaded with mature themes, and are a hoot to read. But back to Potter: it all looks great as charaben, no? Albeit just a tad creepy.

And for the geek record: I own an original box set of Choose Your Own Adventure books, and the first two seasons of the original Star Trek on DVD. Ouch. Where the heck is my Spock bento, eh!!!????


No comments: