Monday, February 11, 2008

The World According to Junko


This image © JUNKO.

Mother Q: Ok, you can use my Hello Kitty bento images but I want written permission from the Sanrio Company so I don't get sued... please have your lawyers contact me at the following...

Mother P: Thanks! I'm so so happy you want to use my charaben in a book in America! I have always dreamed of New York City! Unfortunately I have no high resolution images... will that be a problem?

Mother X: My fees will be $1000 per image for international rights, etc etc...


Compiling images for Face Food was an exciting yet disheartening process. Not every charaben expert responded to my messages, and some (after an initial contact) disappeared off the face of the earth.


This image © JUNKO.

One such Japanese blogger was Junko Terashima. Her designs, which have a surreal angle and distinct Western influence, would have brought a little more of the absurd into the book... unfortunately, Junko failed to get to me in time for printing... but thanks to the web, she'll still turn stomachs with her unique takes on the bento. I still loves ya, Junko!


This image © JUNKO.


This image © JUNKO.


This image © JUNKO.


This image © JUNKO.


This image © JUNKO.

No comments: